Users will expect your hub to be up and running, 24x7. Meeting that challenge requires a dedicated IT team. Instead of hiring dedicated staff, smaller projects can outsource their hub operations to a hosting service. Just like a “web” hosting service, a “hub” hosting service will purchase any necessary hardware, install the hub software, and keep the hub up and running for you. You still “own” the hub, control the content, and manage the interactions with your community. But the hosting provider will take care of standard operations.
A hosting provider will ensure:
- Operation in a secure machine room with uninterruptable power supply (UPS) and service monitoring.
- Regular backups of the file system and all data on the hub.
- Automated scanning for viruses during data upload.
- Security scans of any new web site code.
- Contact person for copyright infringement notifications.
- HIPAA alignment for healthcare-related hubs dealing with sensitive data.
The following providers offer hosted solutions for the HUBzero software, and they are recognized participants in the HUBzero Foundation:
Writing a proposal?
You can include hub hosting costs in the budget for your funded research proposal. Select one of the providers listed above, and contact them for a price quote.